here to hear TagYerit's song SciFi (first half) in RealAudio while you enjoy
some of our carvings.
Pumpkin Art Gallery:
Not your father's jack-o-lanterns
This spoon is an indispensible tool for scooping out a pumpkin. After the seeds and slime are scooped out, the spoon can cut through the pumpkin's flesh. Thinner flesh creates a warmer glow.
The beauty of carving pumpkins is the deceptively simple effect caused by the light cast through the varied thickness of the pumpkin flesh. Remember it's just a vegetable. Never let yourself be intimidated by a vegetable. If it doesn't come out as you hope, there are more veggies out there.
Notice how Flo's crystal ball glows. If you look closely, you can (almost) see the image of a ghost. He (she?) was carved in the inside.
There's always a tool handy for carving pumpkins. Remember a sharp tool
is safer than a dull one, because you don't need to apply as much pressure.
These are wood working tools that we like to use when they are within easy reach.
The long pointed blade is a reciprocating saw with tape wrapped around the blade
for a make-shift handle. Also, always cut away from yourself. Your body
should never be a tool bench. In other words imagine the path of your tools
as it slips. If your other hand is in that imaginary path, move it now. (thank
Ideally you might have an adjustable height desk to save your back as well, but any desk or table will work. Just make sure to have your pumpkin stable so you don't have to hold it, and that you're always cutting away from your body.
Recently I discovered that clay sculpting tools can help out. I found mine
at a local crafts store.
It's fun to carve pumpkins with children. First show them pictures of different
possible approaches. Would they like to make a face or a house? You'll have
to be the judge of what age your children can handle knives, but there's plenty
of stages for involvement. If you're letting them use steak knives at the table,
they're probably ready. But repeat to them, the safety tips mentioned above
- REPEATEDLY. Scooping out and sorting seeds for roasting. Put down newspapers.
This part is slimy. Get them to try different sketches on paper. Then they can
draw on the pumpkin with pentels or magic markers. You can discuss which is
the positive and negative space. Typically. I carve and cut away, the inked
space. If you can't wash off the marker mistakes, then fine sandpaper may be
There's no wrong way to design your pumpkin and there's certainly no pumpkin
police telling you that you can't add-on for effect.
the flip side of The Cheshire Cat Pumpkin, Flo of course carved just the smile.
It also would have been effective to color or paint the cat and just carve the
About Patterns: People often ask me about patterns. We usually
manipulate images that I find online using graphics software. You can do the
same thing fairly cheaply with scissors and glue and your local copy shop to
help expand and shrink pictures. One of our contributors, Rick Chong succesfully
uses coloring books as a source for his designs.
The pumpkins you find on these pages were either done by Rich & Flo Newman
(aka TagYerit) or sent in by friends & contributors. There could easily be
10 pages by now, so give yourself plenty of time to explore the vast range of
wonderful creations assembled here! Have you tried the following pages for more
Don't stop now ... visit the following pages for more great pumpkins!
- "Political Pumpkins" - Polly the Tickedoff pumpkin had his say (just in time for the election season 2004)
- Pumpkins A-Glowing SCARY creatures to light your way.
- SongCarvers What happens when carving pumpkins gets songified?
- Tips on carving pumpkins more wonderful examples
- Tip on photographing pumpkins
- yet more pictures ...
- Links to other great pumpkin sites.
- Pumpkin Highlights 2011-2013
- Pumpkin Highlights 2010
- Pumpkin Highlights 2009
- Pumpkin Highlights 2008
- Pumpkin Highlights 2007 - includes Deranged Cowgirl, Tubeman, Outlaw Radio Guy (Pirate Radio Ship), and much more.
- Pumpkin Highlights 2006 - includes Kabali's Diner, Pardon The Interruption (Mike & Tony), Pumpkin Head Astaire, Rosey's Hot Air Balloon ride, Yoda, Frankenstein, Col. Sanders, gargoyle, dogs, tigers and so much more.
- Pumpkin Highlights 2005 - includes Hedwig, The Pumpkin Farmer, Gollum, Kangaroos, Snow White, Sponge Bob, Snoopy on the Great Pumpkin, and Cinderella
- Pumpkin Highlights 2002 to 2004 - includes Homer, a crane, genie, Shrek, The Creature from the Black lagoon, Pinhead and more
- Pumpkin Highlights 1998 to 2001 - includes the Tiffany pumpkin (a must see), as well as this little gem ...
- Laaarge Pumpkins - See how much more one can do with a bigger pumpkin.
- The Great Pumpkin Globe of JM Finholt - JM uses the whole pumpkin to create a map of the world.
- Painted Pumpkins - Some wonderful examples from our friends.
- Rick's Tips - Rick Chong shares his ideas for creating inexpensive effective patterns.
- The Trick or Treat Trials - Masks, Costumes, Tricks and Treats - TagYerit's other Halloween related creations.
Click the Guitar to hear TagYerit's music.
Click here to fully explore the tagyerit.com pages
Subscribe to TagYerit Tails
TagYerit Tails is the newsletter for TagYerit (The Website) and TagYerit (The Band). This newsletter is our way to tell you when something new or exciting is happening. In other words expect it no less than twice a year and no more than once a month.
Click here to sign up now.
- Whether you'd like to say hi; make a request or a suggestion; discuss the use of any of these images; swap links; we'd love to hear from you!
- Do you carve pumpkins?
- Occasionally we get requests for skilled carvers for festivals or special projects. Contact us if you're interested, and we'll do our best to facilitate.
- We're always interested in posting examples from carvers of all skill levels. Contact us if you'd like to have your pumpkins up on our galleries.
Just so you know: We never disseminate email information. We are ever mindful of the privacy needs of our friends.
All text and images ©1998 - 2013 Rich & Flo Newman
(Any images credited to others remain their property and appear here by permission.)